I’m a seasoned copywriter and certified content marketer with more than 25 years’ experience. I specialize in writing SEO-optimized blog posts and websites that fizz with personality.
What Exactly Does a Copywriter Do?
I craft the headlines and sentences that persuade your customers to take the action you want. I write words that make them feel, think, nod in agreement, and – ideally – take a step closer to clicking the ‘buy now’ button. That’s copywriting.
It doesn’t matter if you sell fluffy toys to dog lovers, or high-tech software to government departments. You have a brand, and a story to tell.
Copywriting is the crucial element that engages the hearts and minds of your audience, and makes them feel warm and fuzzy about your business.
So, What is Content Marketing?
Knowing how to write engaging copy is a great start, but it isn’t enough. Knowing who you are trying to attract, how your business solves their problem, and what information they're looking for . . .that’s the secret sauce.
You see, content marketing isn’t about advertising your business. It’s about producing consistently relevant and entertaining information that wows your audience with its usefulness and value, builds trust and credibility for your brand, and turns people into loyal customers over time.
And where does SEO fit into all of this?
From a copywriting perspective, SEO – in its simplest form - is the art of knowing how and where to sprinkle keywords through the content.
From a content marketing perspective, it’s about knowing what information Google is looking for on the topic you want me to write about. Google’s job is to deliver useful and relevant content to its searchers in response to the questions they ask. If I answer those questions in your content, it stands a better chance of pleasing the Google Gods and ranking higher than your competitors.
So, fundamentally, SEO is the art of writing blogs, websites and other content worthy of a Page #1 ranking on Google.
And that’s the service I provide.
But I do it in collaboration with you. To get the ball rolling, you need to provide me with a great brief (we can do that in collaboration too if you like). Then I do some initial research and ask you loads of questions. And I’ll probably come back and ask you loads more. Then I craft the words to please the Google Gods, captivate your audience, and put the oomph into your online marketing.
Mel Wicks is a talented writer who knows how to produce the goods. Her posts are bang on brief, well researched and written with style. If all the first drafts I received were as good as Mel’s, I’d be very happy.
Jon Morrow, Founder, Smart Blogger
Blog Post Samples:
- 26 Creative Writing Exercises That'll Punch Up Your Writing: 4,000-word blog post, which generated 2.5k social shares and ranked #4 on page 1 of Google.
- Advice to Writers Who Feel Like a Fraud (From a Writer Who Feels Like a Fraud): 1,600-word blog post, which generated 109 comments, 533 social shares and ranked #7 on page 1 of Google.
- How to Write a Bio Like a Superhero (Easy 3-Part Process): 2,750 word blog post, which generated 103 comments, 533 social shares and ranked #16 on page 1 of Google
- 31 Writing Podcasts You've Got to Hear: 6,700-word blog post, which generated 1.5k social shares and ranked #3 on page 1 of Google.
- 12 FOMO Marketing Techniques to Boost Your Email Conversions: 2,250-word blog post, written as a Ghost Post for sendlane.com.
- The Maraway: A 7-page website for The Maraway, a not-for-profit organization, rolling up its sleeves to tackle the tough issues in its community.
- Simply Hampers: A 6-page website for Simply Hampers, whose goal is to make people happy.
- Bike & Bird: A 5-page website for Bike & Bird, a fully self-contained holiday house perfect for cyclists, twitchers and other adventurers who still crave the comforts of home